Labor Day. A day filled with the smell of charcoal, sunscreen, and chlorine. The last glimmer of summer…
But, it is often one of the most dangerous days on the roads of Atlanta and throughout Georgia.
According to the Georgia State Patrol, in 2013, there were over 400 auto accidents, 200 of which reported injuries and 4 led to fatalities, on Labor Day Weekend. Those are grim statistics.
In Atlanta, any day on the road could result in an auto accident or injury. But, there seems to be something particularly unique about Labor Day Weekend which drives up the car accident and fatality statistics.
At Kaine Law, we wish you and your family a safe holiday! Below are some tips that will help you as you prepare for your Labor Day Weekend:
- Leave early so that you do not feel hurried or distracted while you’re driving to your in-town or out-of-town destination;
- Have printed directions as well as a map and/or a GPS device in case you need to find a detour;
- Maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. A good rule of thumb is to allow 1 car length of distance for every 10 miles per hour (MPH) that you are driving between you and the car in front of you;
- Pay attention to the car behind you. If they are too close, move into a different lane. It may be annoying, but at least the car can’t rear-end you if it isn’t driving behind you;
- Watch your speed! The faster you are going and the larger your vehicle, the more time it takes to stop;
- Keep your seatbelt on at all times. Make sure that your passengers know that they must remain buckled at all times as well;
- Get plenty of rest. This is true for anyone else in the car that may have to help with the driving;
- Don’t drink and drive;
- Finally, click on the link below to print our Accident Report Form and place it in your glove box. This Form can help streamline the information gathering process if you are in an accident.
From our family to yours, Happy Labor Day!!
For more information about this article, contact Kaine Law.