There are 3 words that come to mind when someone is injured in an accident: preventable, avoidable and unnecessary. While we canât control the actions of others, we can be mindful of potential risks or threats in front of us. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution published an article discussing the 5 leading causes of Atlanta deaths. The article focuses on the exponential growth of personal injury accidents and wrongful deaths that could be prevented if the general population took particular safety measures.Â Sadly, Georgia received a âDâ grade from the National Safety Council and 11 other states received a âFâ for preventable deaths.
We are here to discuss the 5 leading causes of preventable accident deaths in the hopes that this discussion can save at least 1 life.
- Since 2015, there have been 44,970 fatalities from accidental poisonings. Now, more than ever, this is readily apparent as the opioid epidemic is at an all-time high and claims more than an estimated 60 lives every single day.
- Prevention: prescriber education and guidelines, patient education, overdose prevention programs and access to addiction treatment
Car Accidents Caused By Drunk Drivers
- There were 10,265 DUI accident deaths in 2015.
- Prevention: state sobriety checkpoints must be established, ban on open containers in vehicles, 90-plus day license revocation
Firearm Deaths and Accidental Discharges
- In 2015, there were 35,486 fatalities from firearm accidents and 80,000 injuries.
- Nearly two-thirds of suicide deaths are because of fire-arm use.
- Prevention: gun safety laws and prevention programs, background checks on buyers and proper training
Motorcycle Accidents and Pedestrians Hit By Cars
- 11,324 people died on the road in 2015.
- Motorcycle rides, pedestrians, and cyclists are the most at risk.
- Between 2004 – 2013, motorcycle accident fatalities increased by 16%.
- Prevention: motorcycle and bicycle helmet laws, laws requiring drivers to stop for pedestrians
Slip and Falls Amongst The Elderly
- 28,400 falls were reported in 2015 (thousands of accidents are unreported).
- Elderly falls have increased 168% since 1999 â many believe the side effects from medications is to blame for this.
- Prevention: state coalitions to assist in prevention, pharmacist prescription modification and fall prevention strategies at nursing homes
These 5 types of very preventable accident deaths deaths are taking the lives of children, adults and the elderly all over the country â no one is immune. With Georgia receiving such a low score with regard to preventable deaths, something has to change in order to stop these personal injury accidents and wrongful deaths from happening.
Kaine Law is a personal injury law firm representing injured accident victims in Georgia. Â With offices in Atlanta, Conyers, Lawrenceville and Stockbridge, Kaine Lawâs personal injury attorneys specialize in representing injured motorcycle accident victims, injured car accident victims, injured truck accident victims, families hurt by the wrongful death of their loved one and injured pedestrian accident victims. Â Kaine Law represents their injured accident victim clients using a contingency fee agreement which provides that there are no legal fees unless we win.