Obtaining Your Atlanta Auto Accident Police Report
Our clients frequently ask us how they can get a copy of their police report after an auto accident. In Georgia, it depends on where the accident occurred. You can obtain a report in at least two ways:
- You can show up at the police station in person and pay the copying cost.
- The Georgia Department of Transportation has partnered with www.BuyCrash.com to allow motorists to obtain copies of their police reports directly off the Internet.
The fee for this Internet service is $10.00 — half goes to the law enforcement agency that made the report and the other half supports the online service. This online resource has made the process of obtaining copies of police reports substantially easier for drivers involved in an auto accident in Georgia.
Importance of filing Atlanta police reports
After a car accident, you may feel nervous and shaken up. However, auto accident attorneys can explain to you that filing a police report is important in order to make sure all the details of the accident are reported. In some cases, a police report is the only accurate piece of evidence that contains information about the accident. As a result, it can greatly speed up the process of receiving a settlement from your insurance company.
Below is some additional information you should know about filing a police report:
- File an accident report in Atlanta or your local community no matter how minor the collision: Even if the accident appears to be minor, it is still in your best interests to file a police report. While the physical damage to your car and property may not be significant, in time, you may notice physical injuries resulting from the crash.
- Be honest with the police: Never lie to the police when you are filing a report. Not only can this delay the insurance claim process, but it can cause legal problems for you as well.
- Acquire the contact information of the officer who filed your report: After you receive a copy of your car accident report, you should have the contact information of the police officer who filed the report. This is important because the police may remember specific details about the accident that can help your legal case later on.
Contact our accident attorneys today
Our attorneys in Atlanta do not charge a fee unless we recover compensation on your behalf. So if you or a loved one is injured and looking for an Atlanta automobile accident attorney to represent you, please contact Kaine Law, LLC today for a free case evaluation or call us toll free at 877-884-8579. Hablamos español.
Everyone at Kaine Law, LLC — from our highly qualified lawyers to our dedicated staff — is ready to serve you. We realize that auto accidents can cause serious injuries that can affect every aspect of your life. If you are the victim of a car accident, we want to be your voice.